Thursday, January 28, 2010

How about those New Years resolutions...?

Hey Everyone!

Ok so its been about a month since the New Year began. Did you make a resolution about losing weight and eating healthy? Have you stuck to it?

If you are one of the majority of people who can't keep there resolutions I can tell you why.

You were unrealistic.

Period.

No one can work out 7 days a week, ban all junk food, and still be sane.

One of the most important lessons I was taught was how to set a smart goal. One that you will be able to accomplish, and will make you feel good. Here is how I remember it:

S- specific
M- measurable
A- attainable
R- realistic
T- timely

For Example: I, Amanda, will work out 3-4 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes, from January until May.

Specific:

Saying "I will work out more" won't help you get anywhere. You need to WRITE DOWN very specific goals about something you want to accomplish. The goal I have written is very specific about working out. I state exactly how many times a week, for how long, and until when. In May, I can reevaluate my choice, and see if it is still appropriate.

Measurable:

The example is measurable. It is a Yes or No whether or not I went to the gym. It is also measurable for how long I am going. Being at the gym means nothing if I go for 5 minutes. Being there for at least 45 minutes will force me to do something while I'm there.

Attainable:

After evaluating my life schedule, this appears to be something that I myself can keep up. I have a membership to the gym, and have clothes to workout in.

Realistic:

Realistically, I am able to work out for 45 minutes without killing myself. I am able to find time in my schedule to go at least 3 or 4 times in a week.

Timely:

The goal I have set has a variety of specific times in it. It starts now, and not three months from now.


Really try to re-evaluate your goals for 2010. Are they SMART goals? Plan for the here and now, not for when you're 20lbs lighter :)

Post questions if you have a comment here, or on my youtube channel (linked in the right side)!

xoxo
jg

NOTE: I am not certified in any nutrition or medicine. Please ask a Doctor before making any changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment