Sunday, September 25, 2011

Green Update

Hello Cuties,

I wanted to update you all on my diet, and how things have been going. Over the summer I spent a total of 3 weeks as a vegetarian. During that time I really learned a lot about my body, new foods, cravings, and, really, our society/culture. Growing up in a North American home, with an Italian boyfriend, we ate meat on a regular basis. It always seemed to be a part of our dinners, the main focus.

Since trying out vegetarianism, I have began to shift my meal focus. Yes, I am still eating meat, but now, in much smaller portions. I am still trying to slowly ween it out, but not punishing myself if I do have some. I would say I eat meat 3-4 days a week right now. Ideally, I would like to minimize it to 0-1 days a week.

In this process I have also noticed a shift in my family's thinking. For example, last night my Mom made us Coconut Curry Shrimp. It was nice just having the shrimp, rice, and veggies. Everyone felt full and satisfied after, without feeling too bloated.

I really encourage everyone to try incorporating other foods full of protein in their diet besides animal meats. Even after one google search I found this page:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

which is a great starting point. Pick a new food you've never heard of, and Google new recipes! Be daring :)

Try something new this week, and I will do the same :)

xo

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment